Mar 16, 2007

Lawrence of Nihon

Snow gently fell from the frigid Sapporo sky as I sat in a warm bath drinking a cool Japanese beer. On the vanity sat a miniature television with Lawrence of Arabia on.
I recalled envying Lawrence the first time I had seen this film. How I’d desired to break into a foreign culture as Lawrence had. I wished to gain the same respect necessary to be invited in to live among the tribe, be given their clothing, food, friendship, and respect

Then a realization of having fulfilled these rites of passage crept over me. Though my accomplishments had lacked the cinematic flare of Lawrence’s at times, I too had lived among the tribe. I had been given traditional Japanese clothes. Eaten with families in a traditional Japanese manner and gained their friendship, respect, and love. This very moment was part of that life.

Feeling rather proud of myself, I settled back into the tub and watched the snow outside dance as only Japanese snow knows how.

No comments: