May 7, 2007

ER

Emergency Room’s can be such interesting places. When life reaches an impassable level criticality it’s the one place we can all turn. This past weekend I reached such an apex when my right eyelid became extremely swollen for seemingly no reason. While one would assume a Sunday morning in an Emergency Room would be rather slow the presence of three security guards told a different story.

No sooner had I sat down did the an altercation began when an older gentleman on a cell phone started arguing with a security guard while he carried on a conversation on the phone. I was impressed with the older gentleman’s ability to multitask, but was disappointed that there was no blood involved. Luckily a women holding her boyfriends bleeding hand walk through the door just then. The triage nurses on duty looked at the girlfriend as asked, “Did you do this to him?” With a nevous smile the boyfriend responded, “No, I cut myself while I was opening a box.”

It was about then that I was called into the doctor’s office. “What seems to be the problem,” asked the doctor. I removed my sunglasses to show him my eye and asked, “Is this pink eye?” He glanced at my eye and responded, “No, it’s just a sty.” “Great, some of my friends really had me worried,” I answered. “Yeah too much access to the internet,” answered the doctor unenthusiastically.

I walked out of the doctor’s office pleased with my diagnosis to find another gentleman yelling at one of the security guards. While the security guard was going his best to calm the man down, his kind words were having little effect. Though I wanted to stop and watch the fireworks a $2.95 breakfast at local diner was calling my name.

I reentered the stable world, enjoyed my breakfast, and then ventured off to Central Park for an afternoon of Frisbee. Jie, thanks for the pictures once again:
http://oohsix.com/#photos/nyc/diggers%20day%20out

No comments: