Feb 18, 2008

The Frosty Deal

Not owning a motorcycle for a year a half has taught me two things.
1. I prize owing one above most other possessions life:
2. They suck in the rain and bitter cold.

Number two was reinforced yet again as I rode over the Han River in 35 degree weather. Combined with a wind chill I did not care to calculate, most of the three hour ride was nothing but a necessary sacrifice to save $500 and make up for a week of convincing my boss that a motorcycle was not a surefire guarantee of personal injury.

The Comet as its called is a 250cc built by Hyosung (A Korean company that builds a number of scooters and motorcycles) and was being sold by a gentleman named Eric. He was leaving in a week and faced either taking what he could get for his motorcycle or walking away from it, more on that later.

More importantly, I had to convince my boss to let me buy this motorcycle. So at a party she hosted this past weekend, I waited till the end of the night when she had had a few glasses of "kool-aid". Then with the same smile I had worn the day I lied my way past the park ranger on Mt. Jade in Taiwan, I looked her right in the eye and pleeded my case one last time.

And that is how I found myself ridding over the Han River and getting a $2,000 motorcycle with a fill tank of gas for $1,400.

No comments: