Feb 12, 2009

Mother and Child

After a day of riding to the equator and back, Travis and I pulled back into town to return our rented motor scooters. At the restaurant where we had rented them, we got into a rather interesting conversation with the owner Mr. Porcupine that somehow spiraled into him offering to sell us a tigers tooth, a tigers claw, and other assorted jewelry made from porcupine and anteater.

Being offered these exotic animal parts made me wonder if he had any exotic meat. Much to my dismay he did not have any anteater, porcupine, or tiger meat. But then Mr. Porcupine reached under the bar and pulled out a large Tupperware container. Inside the container was a deer fetus (deer embryo) soaked in banana brandy.

My eyes lit up when he offered to let me try some for free. After finishing the brandy, he told me he had some of the mothers meat in the back that he could make into a steak for about $4.50.
So there I sat by an ancient volcanic Lake Maninjau eating a jungle deer steak listening to Mr. Porcupine tell me tales of encounters with tigers and python attacks from his days as a jungle guide.

It was truly an unforgettable day in the wilds of Indonesia.

Lake Maninjau, Sumatra

No comments: