Jul 6, 2009

Hospital Cafe and Bar

Most people try rather hard to stay out of the hospital, so why dine in a hospital themed restaurant? The answer, because your in Japan.
................
Though the restaurant does not go as far as to have its patrons dine while reclined in hospital beds, the overall theme of the restaurant is quite medical. Like most places in Japan you remove your shoes upon entering the restaurant and put on, I assume, slippers similar to those one would wear in a Japanese hospital. You are then led to your table by a “doctor” or “nurse”.

The menu contained proper descriptions of normal food and drinks, unlike Kagawa. However at the back of the menu there was a special section, from here “patients” could order medical services. Though I was tempted to order the full medical check, its price of about $15 and the restaurants strict no sexual harassment policy changed my mind.

Since I had already had dinner at a normal dining establishment, I merely ordered a drink. The drink I chose was the mystery drink. As you can see it came out looking very medicinal; though the yellow liquid in one of the beakers made me question the odd noises I had heard coming from the kitchen before my drink came out.

While enjoying my mysterious drink, the “nurse” brought a few photo albums to my table. Inside were various photos of the restaurants staff. Though culture changes a few things, awkward teenagers experimenting with odd clothes and piercings is the same the world over; though Japanese teens seem to do it little more strangely and fashionably than their western counterparts.

Before leaving the ingredients of my drink were reviled to me; the yellow liquid alas was merely ginger ale. After paying the bill the doctor handed me my prescription, which contained a few cough drops and two nice little note; one in English another in Japanese asking me to have a good night and come back again soon. Smiling, I said thank you and knowing I had a long train ride home I slipped off to use the restroom.
..............
Blessedly it did not involve a catheter.

No comments: