Jun 3, 2010

Nuclear Viking

Speeding along a sign on the side of the road caught my eye. Just a left turn away was a parking lot with 50 spaces and a Manga Café with a buffet lunch for 780 yen.

What is a Manga Café you ask? Imagine a library you pay by the hour to sit in that is stocked with the latest comic books and magazines. The fee, which varies from one Manga Café to another, typically includes a free drink bar and reserved cubical that has a computer with internet access and a comfortable chair in it.

Wondering what happens when you combine a Manga Café with a buffet, I turned left into the ample parking lot and ventured inside. After filling out a membership card, which is free and typically required to use the café, I walked over to my cubical dropped off my motorcycle gear and then ventured over to the buffet.

It was everything that I had hoped and feared it would be. Piles for fried rice, vats of curry, Spam and fried noodles, and several limp looking salads all begged to be consumed; it was the type of fair you consume only if you are willing to declare nuclear war on your body. Having faith that the Ulong tea from the drink bar would combat the MSG and grease, I loaded up four plates and waddled back to my cubical.

Once inside the dimly lit tobacco stained cocoon, I loaded up the internet and then dug into to my carefully picked feast, which contained so much MSG that it took nearly a gallon of water to quench my thirst.

In other words, it was amazing.

No comments: