Mar 25, 2012

Kamiyama Island 神山島

At first I could not figure out how to beach the island, because the tide was low and the current was washing a wall of jelly fish up against the coral reef. I swam back to the boat and looked at the island. There appeared to be a damaged dock from WWII, that I hoped had a clear channel running up to it.

After swimming out to the island a second time I was able to get right up to the damaged dock. In the picture above a crane is sitting on the dock and you can see the reef in the water below me.
The island itself was little more than a bunch of sand and very sharp coral, which I had to walk on with bare feet.

The one thing the island has is a weather station, which I could not reach due to the trees and bushes surrounding it. 

Okinawa, Japan

No comments: