Apr 21, 2013

Kume Island

The front entrance to Yajiyagama Cave 
Yajiyagama has some of the least disturbed cave formations in Okinawa archipelago. The person holding the flashlight in the middle of the picture was an old man who guides people through the cave for free. 
The rear exit of Yajiyagama, which leads to another cave system. However since this system is much narrower and it was raining, my guide did not want to crawl through the mud.
 A farm along the Aara Forest Road.
 The view from the top of Mifuga Rock. 
Mifuga Rock is believed to be female. People wanting children come here to pray to. Though you have to know what you are looking for, you can see the traditional Ryukyu alter under the trees on the right.

Adjacent to this formation is Gushikawa Castle. While wandering around the mountain below the castle, I found what appeared to be an open entrance to a grave under the castle. The entrance to the grave was aligned perfectly with the hole in Mifuga Rock. 

I had wanted to climb inside cavern to take a picture from inside the grave to show this. However I would have had to beat through some very deep bush, which usually is not a problem. However during this entire trip my friend and I had kept seeing signs of live Habu snakes everywhere. So, that was a picture that I did not want to chance taking.

クミジマ 沖縄

No comments: