Mar 3, 2015

Chichen Itza

Seemed I had flown halfway around the world only to be denied this place. First the tour company wouldn't honer the voucher. Then they didn't provide tours on Sunday. After that I had left my freshly renewed international drivers license at home. 
However since it typically takes answering three objections to make a sale, after that last no I knew things were going to work out. 
Turns out the rent a car company just handed out cars in this end of the world to anyone with a US license. And although the tour company does not offer tours on Sunday, Chichen Itza is indeed open on the lords day. So, into the car I piled myself and eager parents. 
Then the GPS on my phone decided to check out. 
There I was in Mexico, parents in tow, on a random road heading up the coast. Had I not been in this situation countless times on the motorcycle (sans the parents) this fourth "no" may have tempted me back to the hotel. 
However after years of ridding around Asia with signs written in anything but Latin based characters, this was easy. Hence after some excitement and throwing of the mobile phone, road signs pointed the way to the highway that took everyone to the intended destination.
What was the reward? It was a place I had been told about since I was a child. Here I was. While today the road was better and since people had had a habit of falling off of the pyramids and dying you were no longer allowed to climb anything, it was worth it.  



Yucatan, Mexico

No comments: