Jan 7, 2015

The Pack

Yigo, down a narrow village road I ride alone. Quite, nothing but houses and trees under dim sodium lamps. Then a fork in the road. A right. The road narrows.

First a small dog. Then two larger dogs.

On my left! Three large dogs, all barking. Wait, three more ahead too?!

The road dead-ends. Three in front. Six behind.

I look ahead. Where was the alpha? Yes you, you with the mangy black coat. Lunge. Attack. I am waiting.

A lunge! A pop of the clutch and my bike lunges forward too. Surprised, my attacker falls back. Not a moment to spare. Turn the bike around.

They are regrouping. Charging up my rear. Here they come.

Loose rock road, let’s go!

An explosion of the throttle; my back-end kicks out. A volley of rocks rains back on the attackers.

Ahead, three more gearing up on my right side.

A narrow miss.

The road widens.

I've gotten away. 

No comments: